Friday, February 26, 2010

The pillow


Things I've learned in the past two weeks:
  1. It is inevitable that when I have no one to knit for and start a project for myself, twenty million people (aka three) will want me to make them something.
  2. Midterms are any knitter's/baker's enemy.
  3. I will get sick at the most inopportune times. Like the week before I'm supposed to go home for a surprise visit. And when I have papers and quizzes and things that one cannot be ill for.
  4. A upper respiratory infection is just a cold. But it sounds so much serious when you call it an upper respiratory infection.
  5. When I get sick, I get really emotional. Flashback to a couple days ago when Joannie Rochette skated her short program and cried upon finishing. So did I. And just now, when I read Bake at 350's blog post on livestrong and her mother's battle with cancer. Tears. I'm a sap, I know.
  6. Spring break is T-7 days away. Which, finally, after months of reading food blogs and dreaming about scones and cupcakes and cake truffles, BAKING.
  7. Uncrustables are a lazy girl's best friend. Especially when she runs out of strawberry jam. And bread. Also, they say they thaw in 30 minutes. THIS IS A LIE. I have had one sitting next to me for the allotted half-hour, and it is still mostly frozen. And I am hungry.
  8. I am a poor college kid. I cannot afford a pillow form. Well, I probably could, but I don't really think I could find one on campus.
So, that brings us to knitting. I made my sister a pillow. Mostly because I had/have a lot of yarn of various blues and greys and not much to do with it. Except for the things I was asked to make after I started the pillow. And once you start a pillow, you can't stop. It's easy. You just... knit. No decreases or ridiculousness. And, the best part is, you can use any stitch. I used US 8s.

For the front, I used my old not-so-soft light grey. I did the same cabling pattern I used on this hat. CO 68, knit 68 rows (including cast on and off rows).
For the front, I used various blues I had. From the hats from The Mission II and my mother's hat and scarf. The small grey stripes are my Vanna's Choice Silver Grey. It was 6 rows of the blue, 2 of the grey, and repeating with the other blues. Also CO 68 and knit 68 rows (including cast on and off rows).
So I sewed up three sides and some of the fourth side inside-out. Turned it right side out and stuffed it with the stuffing I have.
And then I realized, this pillow is not square. I think it would be if I used an actual pillow form, (I believe it was a 14" by 14" [do those even exist?]). But I adapted the pillow form from one I found a long time ago, and figured it would work any way. That was knit on US 6s and fit a 12" by 12". And I'm positive that will fit. I think mine didn't because it had nothing to stretch around.
Whatever. She'll like it. No, she never asked for a pillow. Or anything, really. But everyone likes presents.


(Front)

(Back)


No comments:

Post a Comment