Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lydia hat and scarf


I made these for my RA, Lydia. She kills all the bugs for us (we can handle the thousands of ladybugs, but it's the stinkbugs and wasps and cockroaches none of us care to handle). And she's helped us (by "us," I mean my two suite-mates and I) with dealing with my roommate, whom I not-so-affectionately call the Roommate From Hell.
I gave Lydia the scarf today, but I ended up sending the hat with the other Mission hats. (Sorry, Lydia). I'll probably end up making her another one. Seeing as we're expecting snow tomorrow and probably for the rest of forever, she can definitely use it. I guess that's what you get for going to school in the mountains. It's pretty, but it snows like no where else in the south.

Anyways. Both were knit on 10s with Vanna's Choice Silver Grey. (Honestly, this is such a good gift-giving yarn. Grey matches with just about everything.)

The hat:

(Notice the change in hair color? Yeah, no one else has either).

CO 80
K1 P1 across for 6 rows
*P1, K2, P1, K6 across
K1, P2, K2, P6 across
P1, K2, P1, K6 across
K1, P2, K2, P6 across
P1, K2, P1, K6 across
K1, P2, K2, P6 across
P1, K2, P1, C3F across*
Repeat between ** three times, for a total of four cable crosses.
K1, P2, K2, P6 across
P1, K2, P1, K2tog, K2, K2tog across
K1, P2, K1, P4 across
P1, K2tog, P1, K2tog, K2tog across
K1, P1, K1, P2 across
P1, K1, P1, K2tog across
K1, P1, K1, P1 across
K2tog, K2tog across
P across
K2tog across
P2tog across
Cut long tail, pull through remaining stitches, sew up the back.



The scarf:
Okay, preface: I wanted a cabled scarf (I've been obsessing about cables a bit lately, it seems), but I didn't want garter stitch edges, blocking something this large isn't really an option in a room the size of a postage stamp, and I wanted the cabling to be the main thing. So I made this.


CO 22
[*K2, P1, K2, P1, K10, P1, K2, P1, K2
P2, K1, P2, K1, P10, K1, P2, K1, P1*
Repeat between ** for ten rows
K2, P1, K2, P1, C5f, P1, K1, P1, K2
P2, K1, P2, K1, P10, K1, P2, K1, P1]
Repeat between [] once, for a total of two cable crossings
Okay, now, do the same thing again, but where it says "Repeat between ** for ten rows" do it for TWENTY. And the repeat everything above until the scarf is as long as you want it. (I ended with the ten-row cable part, just to make it all nice and even). Cast off, add fringe (if you want). The end.



No comments:

Post a Comment