Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mirrored cable hat and scarf

So for Hanukkah, I made pretty much everyone I know a hat or scarf or both. For my mom, I made her a nice scarf/hat duo, except I only finished the hat today. Seems as if big heads run in our family, so of course the one I made her from a pattern I had edited didn't work. Below is the second hat I made (which thankfully turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself).

Hat and scarf both knit in Lion's Brand Vanna's Choice Dusty Blue (108). Total, it was probably two skeins. Both knit on size 10 needles.



Hat:

(This is for big heads, so maybe decrease CO by 8 [average] to 16 [a bit smaller] for heads that aren't as giant as mine and my mother's. Also, it's a bit long, so if you want it shorter, decrease by one cable.)

CO 88 stitches
K2 P2 around for 10 rows for ribbing
*P2 K6 around
K2 P6 around*
Repeat between ** twice more for a total of 6 rows
P2 C6F P2 C6B around
K2 P6 around
*P2 K6 around
K2 P6 around*
Repeat between ** twice more for a total of 8 rows
[P2 C6F P2 C6B around
K2 P6 around
*P2 K6 around
K2 P6 around*
Repeat between ** twice more for a total of 8 rows]
Repeat between brackets three more times for a total of five cables
P2 K6
K2tog P6 around
P1 K2tog K2 K2tog around
K1 P2tog P2tog around
K2tog around
P2tog around (this should leave you with 7[?] stitches)


Cut a 1ft long tail and pull through remaining stitches. Sew edges together with long tail (I use a crochet hook for this). Tie off, cut remaining.






Scarf:

I stole this pattern. It was super easy to knit. I did it on the size 10 needles, not 7, and my Vanna's Choice yarn.




(Also, all the pictures above are of the exact same scarf and hat. The top picture is closest to the actual color.)

No comments:

Post a Comment