Sunday, January 17, 2010

Slouchy red hat



Things we ARE NOT going to talk about:
  1. How I ruined two (and a half?) hats.
  2. How I'm beyond exhausted for no apparent reason.
  3. How my favorite pair of knitting needles are so worn out that the... color? is so worn out that the silverness underneath shows through and thus turns the tips of my fingers silvery after lots of knitting.
Things we ARE going to talk about.
  1. I finished a hat. And not just a hat, an ADORABLE one. (We're not going to talk about how I messed up some of the cabling in the back. It's in the back.) I might even make a matching scarf.
  2. It's a long weekend. Which means another day of sleeping in. Thank you, MLK.
  3. I have good leftovers for dinner.

So, here's the hat.



Here's the girl who made the pattern. I've got to say, the hat (and she) are adorable, like I said earlier. But this girl must have a tiny head, because I added TWO extra cable panels. TWO. So, 26 or so stitches. I did use size 10s instead of 11s, but I've done this before, compensating for it, and it's never been that much. It's really easy to make, as it's in stockinette mostly, so you don't have to worry about counting knit stitches and purl stitches in your head. And it didn't take that long to make, either.

So, here we go. Realize that this hat will be big. It is slouchy, after all. If you want it slouchier, block it. I've never blocked before, and the hat I made was already pretty big. All I did was put it over a big plate. Seriously.



Knit with Burgundy Threadless, size 10 straight needles.

CO 66 stitches (to make smaller or larger, subtract or add 11 stitches from casting on)
K1 P1 around for 5 rows across
Knit last two stitches of ribbing together
K3, C4 front, K4, knit 4 cable stitches, repeat across
Stockinette two rows across
K1, make 1, knit 2, make 1, knit 8 across (for 78 stitches)
Stockinette three rows across
C4 back, K4, k 4 cable stitches, k 5 across
Stockinette five rows across
K5, C4 front, K4, K4 from cable across
Stockinette five rows across
C4 back, K4, C4 back, K4, k 4 cable stitches, k 5 across
Stockinette five rows across
*K5, C4 front, K4, K4 from cable across
Stockinette five rows across
C4 back, K4, C4 back, K4, k 4 cable stitches, k 5 across
Stockinette five rows across*
(If you want the hat shorter, DO NOT do the part between the **. If you want it longer, DO the part between the **. Each part between the ** is about three inches).
K2tog, K1, K2tog, C4 front, K4, K4 from cable across
Purl across
K9, K2tog across
Purl across
K8, K2tog across
Purl across
K7, k2tog
P2tog, P6
K5, k2tog
P2tog, P4
K3, K2tog
P2tog, P2
K1, K2tog
P2tog
K2tog

Cut a long tail and pull through the remaining stitches. Use tail to sew up the side.




Made while
Watching: Miss Congeniality for the millionth time, episodes 1-4 of Firefly (also for the millionth time)
Playing: Bejeweled Blitz



Also, I recently made this hat. With earflaps! Go me.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa! I'm so glad you liked the hat pattern, even if it would have turned out small! There is a huge difference between size 10 and 11 needles, but congrats for figuring out how to make it work for you! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete